arr = np.array_split(items, 2)
    return np.array(arr).tolist()

if __name__ == '__main__':
    print("Example:")
    print(split_list([1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6]))

And this returns the expected value, which is:

Example:
[[1, 2, 3], [4, 5, 6]]
<MYCODE>:5: VisibleDeprecationWarning: Creating an ndarray from ragged nested sequences (which is a list-or-tuple of lists-or-tuples-or ndarrays with different lengths or shapes) is deprecated. If you meant to do this, you must specify 'dtype=object' when creating the ndarray.
ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()
 <module>, 14

However, when I modify the Example:

import numpy as np
def split_list(items: list) -> list:
    # your code here

print(split_list([1, 2, 3]))

It instead returns:

Example:
[array([1, 2]), array([3])]
<MYCODE>:5: VisibleDeprecationWarning: Creating an ndarray from ragged nested sequences (which is a list-or-tuple of lists-or-tuples-or ndarrays with different lengths or shapes) is deprecated. If you meant to do this, you must specify 'dtype=object' when creating the ndarray.
ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all()
 <module>, 14

Why does my code only return the "array(...)" part when it hits that specific example? Is there any way I can modify my code in order to strip it from the return value of the function?

I might find a different solution in the meantime.

Edit: tagging appropriately

Edit 2: Just for clarity, if I modify my code to just return that "arr" variable, then I'm not even able to pass the first assert() statement in the code since it keeps adding the array part:

import numpy as np
    # your code here
    return arr

​ Example: [array([1, 2, 3]), array([4, 5, 6])] ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all() <module>, 13

AND if I try turning arr back into a numpy array:

import numpy as np
    # your code here
    return np.array(arr)

Then it doesn't even format it the way that the problem is asking for:

Example:
[[1 2 3]
 [4 5 6]]
 <module>, 13

edit 3: So effectively, I have to make it a list using the "tolist()" method, but if it doesn't return the same for every example, I'm not sure what to do.

edit 4: UGGHH and when I modify the example to:

import numpy as np
    # your code here

print(split_list([1, 2, 3, 4]))

it returns correctly:

​ Example: [[1, 2], [3, 4]] <MYCODE>:5: VisibleDeprecationWarning: Creating an ndarray from ragged nested sequences (which is a list-or-tuple of lists-or-tuples-or ndarrays with different lengths or shapes) is deprecated. If you meant to do this, you must specify 'dtype=object' when creating the ndarray. ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all() <module>, 14

So I guess it only likes arrays with even length...

edit 5: I know I'm probably spamming with all of these updates, I'm kinda using this to puzzle at this in my head

I figured out how to at least remove the VisibleDeprecationWarning by figuring out what the message pertains to, but it's still doing the same thing:

import numpy as np
    # your code here
    newarr = np.array(arr, dtype=object).tolist()
    return newarr

print(split_list([1, 2, 3]))

​ Example: [array([1, 2]), array([3])] ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is ambiguous. Use a.any() or a.all() <module>, 14